Summer is quickly approaching and with it comes extra expenses that are usually forgotten in the budget. It’s about this time when you wish you would have saved an extra $50-100 per month since last year.
Let’s face it, the only thing that is guaranteed to go up in price is everything except your paycheck.
I’m not going to vent about the prices of milk and eggs increasing by over 20% or the increases in the price of gas by almost 100% since President Obama took office. We all know these depressing facts.
I would rather offer some hope and mini-vacation ideas that won’t break your bank. So here you go.
5 Vacations Ideas on the Cheap
- Explore your state – It always amazes me when someone new moves to the area and tells me about all of these amazing attractions in my state. Sometimes we can’t see the forest for the trees.
- Go camping – I love being active but camping is not on the top of my list. However, when I spent the $20 dollars to take my family camping it was a time we will never forget. I love the memory and guess what? It poured down rain all night. I literally thought we would get washed away by all of the water. It was only 1 night and besides the rain it was an awesome time.
- Take a hike – We have hiked in Virginia and Pennsylvania. Our kids didn’t love it but they didn’t hate it either. The funny thing now is that they cherish the memories and want to go back and do it again.
- Visit a local historical landmark – We are close enough to Gettysburg to make it a day trip. We usually try to drive down and spend time at the battlefield every year. Devil’s Den is a great place for the kids to crawl around on the rocks while you teach them a bit about the history of the United States.
- Road trip and visit friends – Another fond memory we have as a family is when we made a 4 hour road trip and hung out with some college buddies of mine. As fate would have it we all had 4 kids. While we were there we had a BBQ, had some drinks and the next day visited some local attractions. Nothing special but lots of fun catching up and all of the kids had a blast meeting each other and hanging out. This trip was pretty much the price of the gas to get there.
I know these aren’t full blown week long Caribbean vacation get-a-ways but they are simple and can be had with any budget. The most important part is that you get quality time with your family without breaking the bank.
What is your idea of a vacation on the cheap?