When I launched Mokumax I had a $100 credit for Google Adwords. I decided to track my launch with Googe Analytics and see if using Google ads actually made a difference. I was actually surprised how far a hundred dollars went. For this experiment I ended up adding another $130 to the campaign.
Prior to day one of the launch Mokumax had seen about 100 visitors to the site. Rightly so, there was nothing to see and no reason to visit.
The first thing I did was set up my Google Adwords account and budgeted $10 per day. Doesn’t sound like a lot but I wanted to stretch my free credit for as long as possible. After two weeks I had increased my traffic by over 2,100%. Not terribly hard considering where I started.
After another 5 days and about $50 more my traffic climbed to over 4,500%.
By the next day I was close to a 6,000% increase in traffic.
Each day had me checking my statistics. It was very cool seeing your numbers go up like that.
The day after my campaign ended you can see the numbers started to decline.
Here is the summary for total cost and traffic.
Looking at my summary you’ll notice that I received 1,079 clicks on my text advertisement. The ad was displayed almost 4 million times. Each click ended up costing me an average of 21 cents for a total of $228.46. Since Mokumax is free there is really no ROI to measure except for the number of signups.
Out of 1,079 people that clicked my ad and visited the website only 150 signed up even though the service is free. Measuring ROI in clicks versus signups we saw a cost of about $1.52 per sign up.
Some Concluding Points
- Our traffic definitely went way up by advertising on Google Adwords.
- The ROI (even though our product is free) was $1.52 per sign up.
- Throwing money at Google will get you traffic to your website but that does not mean you can convert that traffic into customers.